The Power of Hashtags
In our modern society, there is no denying that social media has become part of our lives.
Every day numerous posts are shared to increase connectivity and activity on various social media platforms. However, the most influential tool in the social media world is the hashtag. First used by Twitter, the hashtag has taken the world by storm, revolutionizing the way people connect and interact with each other.
The popularity of the hashtag accelerated so quickly, that other social media platforms hopped on the bandwagon. Instagram, Vine, Pinterest, Google+, LinkedIn, and even Facebook have begun to recognize the hashtag.
As the world caught wind of trending hashtags and their power to persuade and influence the populations, television networks formed profiles on various platforms to use these hashtags to increase the interconnectivity of producers and consumers. In doing so, the hashtag has allowed networks and television shows to interact with their watchers, as well as receive fast feedback on new campaigns. This has proven so successful that even commercials have integrated them into their advertising campaigns.
Jenn Hanford previously wrote about the power of hashtags on the blog, stating, “they [hashtags] help conversations flow and stay on track at the same time. In these cases, the hashtag’s value is revealed by the number of participants. Savvy marketers are starting to recognize the increasing value beyond the symbol as their potential customers use hashtags in their purchasing decisions.”
Similarly, the sports world has exploded with the use of hashtags. So much so, that ESPN has been responsible for a plethora of trending hashtags, especially during major sporting events such as the Super Bowl, the World Cup, and the Olympics. This tool has given sports fans a way to interact with each other, even if they are miles away.
Other organizations and philanthropies are catching on to the hashtag trend and are seeking to reek its benefits. Though the hashtag is trending in many facets of social media, it will be a long time before this tool becomes a relic.
One of our former interns, Alex Carruth, wrote about the hashtag milestone and how people are incorporating it into their everyday lives. In fact, I was just at a wedding where guests were asked to use a certain hashtag if they posted their pictures on Instagram.
Alex also gave a good list of resources for hashtags:
- A Hashtag Directory: http://memarketingservices.com://twubs.com/p/hashtag-directory/event/1064592_179
- How to make an event specific hashtag: http://memarketingservices.com://tradeshowsocialmedia.com/event-hashtags-a-guide-to-using-them/
- How to build a hashtag to gain event engagement: http://memarketingservices.com://blogs.constantcontact.com/product-blogs/social-media-marketing/hashtag-event-engagement/ AND http://memarketingservices.coms://business.twitter.com/tactics/use-events-engage
- Hashtag Strategies for making them: http://memarketingservices.com://blog.wishpond.com/post/62253333766/3-key-hashtag-strategies-how-to-market-your-business
- How to use hashtags: http://memarketingservices.com://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6307/bid/32497/How-to-Use-Hashtags-on-Twitter-A-Simple-Guide-for-Marketers.aspx
How are you harnessing the power of hashtags with your marketing?